Review these 10 horse basics questions and then take the real quiz below. Act now – this quiz expires midnight Friday the 20th! Good luck!
Did you know that in 4-H fair horse shows, being able to answer questions like this is a class all by itself, just like a regular horse show class and counts toward high point awards? Many horse 4-H clubs also participate in Jeopardy-like Horse Bowls.
Hint: Most of the answers to these questions are in the Colorado 4-H Horse Project Manual.
- T/F Never walk under or step over a lead rope that is tying up a horse.
- T/F “Roughage” can be either hay or pasture.
- T/F Overo is a color pattern that describes the look of an American Paint Horse.
- T/F Thrush is a disease that affects the cannon bone.
- T/F A twisted instestine can lead to colic, the #1 killer of horses.
- T/F The average, normal pulse rate for your horse is 35 beats per minute.
- T/F All curb bits must have a curb strap.
- T/F When grooming your horse’s tail, stand in the safety zone, to either side of the hindquarters, out of kicking range.
- T/F A weanling is a colt or filly less than three years of age.
- T/F When you show in a Western Equitation class, the judge emphasizes your skills more than the horse’s way of going.